One fine day, as I was wondering what to prepare for dinner, I realized that there were not enough vegetables to prepare any gravy and neither were there enough eggs to prepare an egg burji either! But I chanced upon this box of unopened soy chunks. Well, my mind started working and VOILA!!! This is what I came up with! Vegetable Soy Fried Rice!
Biriyani rice – 2 cups
Soy chunks – 1 cup
Green peas – 10-15
Capsicum – 1/2 of 1
Cabbage – 1/4 kg
Carrot – 1
Potato – 1
Eggs – 3
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Chicken masala – 1 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste.
Sauces/ Other liquids –>
Soya sauce – 2 tsp
Chilli sauce – 1 tsp
Cooking oil – As required.
- Soak soy chunks in water for an hour. Drain them of their water and add the spices and sauces. Keep for a hour.
- Sauté the rice in a fry pan with the required amount of oil. After approximately 3-4min, keep to cool.
- Once cooled, cook this rice by boiling it with water and a pinch of salt. Also add the turmeric powder at this time and gently stir. Once cooked, keep aside.
- Dice the capsicum and carrot, chop the cabbage and potato.
- Now, boil the carrots and potato. Scramble the eggs.
- By this time the spices would have mixed quite well with the soy chunks. Fry them for a bit in a sauté-pan till they are cooked to your taste.
- Now, add the boiled vegetables, scrambled eggs and soy chunks to the fried rice and mix.
- You could add a couple of green chillies if you like spicy food. Or else just garnish the rice with a couple of coriander leaves and some long sliced chillies.
Now, wasn’t that really simple? You can serve this with any gravy that you already have or else with the famous plain salad/raitha, pickle and pappad. Your man will LOVE it! Mine did.